Agile Nonprofit Leadership During the COVID-19 Crisis (Mike Blackwelder)April 2020
Uncertainty abounds in the charitable sector, but leadership is needed now more than ever. My colleague Mike Blackwelder and I tackle five critical areas of leadership, and lift up examples, suggestions and resources to better address each of them in episode 29 of The Path Podcast. Whether you're a current nonprofit leader or aspire to be one, these are the types of circumstances you must be ready to manage. How do you work with your staff and board in this virtual environment? Should you ask your donors for more money? What do you do about the in-person programming on which your organization depends? And what are you doing to protect your mental, physical and emotional well-being? For answers to each of these questions, listen carefully to this BONUS episode!
Mike is a nonprofit and fundraising professional who has been on the leadership path for over a decade. He serves as Managing Director for PMA Consulting, and has extensive experience in fundraising, management, strategic planning, communications, and nonprofit administration. His nonprofit career includes positions at United Way of Central Carolinas, Boys & Girls Club of Cabarrus County, and Safe Alliance. In his most recent position as Chief Advancement Officer at Safe Alliance, Mike managed a team of development staff and led the agency's fundraising, marketing, volunteer, and advocacy efforts. He received a bachelor's degree in Business Administration from Campbell University, a Graduate Certificate in Nonprofit Management and an MBA from UNC-Charlotte, and is a Certified Fundraising Executive (CFRE). Mike is also very involved with the Charlotte Chapter of the Association of Fundraising Professionals (AFP), where he currently serves as Past President for the board of directors.
EPISODE TOPICS & RESOURCES
- Nonprofit Success Toolkit from Nonprofit.ist
- PMA Article: 3 Things Nonprofit Leaders Can Do Now
- How Nonprofits and Board Members Can Respond to COVID-19 by BoardSource
- Coronavirus/COVID-19 Resource Guide from AFP Global
- La Piana Consulting Coronavirus Survey
- Nonprofit Pandemic Resources from the NC Center for Nonprofits
- Psychology Today's Guide for Self-Care
- PMA Article: 7 Nonprofit Podcasts You Should Listen To in 2020
- PMA Book Recommendation: 10% Happier by Dan Harris
- PMA Book Recommendation: Mindset by Carol Dweck